Protect your hair this summer and watch your locks shine!
My favorite season of the year is almost over, oh-summer, how I love thee! During the summer months I find any excuse to get out of the house and bask in the warm weather. Warm weather is so soothing for me but it can be damaging for your hair if you’re not careful. The sun can be drying to our tresses and cause faded color, split ends and brittle, dull hair.
Here are some hair care tips to consider in preparation for a great summer filled with lots of fun, sun and a healthy head of hair.
- Get a Trim. The sun will do extra damage to dry hair. The ends of your hair are the last to get moisture, so it better to remove any dead ends now, before they cause additional damage.
- Cover your head. The ultimate way to protect your hair from the sun’s ray is to use a stylish accessory to cover it. Think a super cute hat, beanie, turban, hat, half-scarf or whatever you prefer that covers your head. Play with something with a cool print or vibrant colors to look chic, fashion-forward and effortless this summer.
- Avoid Chemicals. Since the sun’s ray can dry your hair, go easy on any chemical hair treatments like coloring which can also dry and damages your locks. It’s best to do any summer coloring a month or two before summer hits or after.
- Shampoo/Condition. Give your hair the nourishment it needs by opting for a hydrating shampoo and conditioner. Make sure products don’t contain sulfates, parabens or sodium chlorine, which will weigh down your tresses. Try gently working your hair’s natural oils from the scalp down to the mid-shaft and ends.
- Drink more water. For every margarita, beer, or pina colada you throw back at the pool, be sure that you drink a bottle of water. Your hair, and your skin, will benefit immensely from the amount of water and extra fluids that you have in your body. It will help eliminate those toxins and provide natural hydration for you.