Build Your Personal Brand Around Impressive First Impressions
With summer in full swing and fall peaking around the corner, it’s the perfect time to sow seeds to explore new personal brand goals. As you bask in the summer’s warm weather, the tranquility of beautiful beaches, reconnecting at ‘framily’ dinners or the simplicity of sipping an ice-cold glass of homemade lemonade use the socializing as an opportunity to sharpen your social skills and score impressive first impressions.
Yes, pull out the cute sundresses and sunnies. Get out to socialize, network and have some fun making impressive first impressions both as practice and the real deal. Whether you’re interested in exploring new career opportunities, pitching new clients, launching a business or just stepping up your brand’s recognition game, using the built-in audience that summer naturally brings you’ll be ahead of the game. While meeting new folks should and can be fun, on the other hand, it can still be a bit nerve-wracking get acquainted with a complete stranger.
The key to impressive first impressions whether you’re out for a night on the town, or strolling the halls of a bookstore is being self-assured enough to engage someone else about who you are, what matters to you and perhaps what you do, ultimately comes down to preparation. Yes, talking about yourself isn’t as easy as it may seem if you care about saying things relevant and memorable.
While we’ve all allowed to let insecurities get the best of us at times, insecurity is not in the formula for impressive first impressions. Research suggests that first impressions are formed in the first seven seconds of an encounter. Incorporating these tidbits into your summer soirees will score you positive impressions that’ll score your brand recognition with the people you’re connecting with.
Creating Impressive First Impressions Tidbits:
- Everyone knows how important first impressions are, but do you know that you only have seven seconds for that impression to be formed (According to Forbes and Business Insider, etc.)?
- The moment someone sees you, their brain makes a thousand assessments. Are you someone to approach or avoid? Are you friendly or not? Do you have authority? Are you trustworthy and competent?
- These assessments are formed at the subconscious level and directs humans to make impressionable decisions about one another in the first seven seconds of meeting.
- In business interactions, first impressions are crucial. No, you can’t stop people from making judgmental decisions – the human brain is hardwired in this way as a prehistoric survival mechanism – you can make those decisions work in your favor.
- First impressions are most heavily influenced by nonverbal cues. Studies have found that nonverbal cues have over four times the impact on the impression you make than anything you say.
- Knowledge is power. Empower yourself by approaching every encounter with a smile, good posture, clear communications and consistent eye contact.
Ready, set, go….you’ve built a great personal brand, now share your brand in confidence + style to build lasting and impressive first impressions.