Try these hair tips to get you through the summer with your hair’s optimal health.
Brandistas, if you’re like me summer is synonymous with time relax poolside, splash and enjoy the serenity of the waves. Enjoying the water is so calming and fun at the same time. Yet, it can cause drying to our to our hair without the proper hair care.
Implement these hair tips and enjoy the luxuries of swimming, while maintaining your hair’s best health!
- Dampen your locks prior to diving in. I saturate my hair with water and coconut oil before hoping in the water. Water adds an extra layer of coating, so your hair doesn’t fully absorb the chlorine or salt water. Allow the water 15 minutes to fully absorb into your hair shaft before swimming.
- Apply oil before swimming. To minimize the chlorine which will naturally penetrates your hair, apply a heavy barriers. Consider heavier oils like shea butter, castor/coconut/olive oil, or silicones. Their coating will give additional protection provided from their moisture.
- Wear a Protective Hairstyle to Prevent Tangling. Try a bun, wrap a ponytail, chunky twist, buns or braids (not too tight) to prevent tangling and minimize even further chlorine water absorption.
- Jump in the shower. Wash your hair immediately after your dip with a clarifying shampoo. Washing immediately eliminates further UV damage, and washes away any impurities that could penetrate the hair.
- Try a Scalp Massage. No need to ever wait for a scalp massage. So why not give yourself a deep 60 second scalp massage to exfoliate old cells, increase scalp circulation to promote hair growth, and help remove product build-up.
What natural hair tips are you using to protect your hair from the pool and ocean this summer?